Happy first Constitution Day of India. On this day, we have gathered some amazing facts on the Indian constitution you should not miss. On October 12 last year, while laying the foundation stone of the Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had declared that November 26 will be celebrated as the Constitution Day of India. The aim of declaring November 26 as the Constitution Day of India is to spread the importance of the Indian Constitution, and to spread awareness about its architect, Dr B R Ambedkar. Modi had also said that “on this day, every year, school children will be taught about constitution and Dr Ambedkar.” “Our Constitution has very special place in our lives. We remember Dr Ambedkar whenever we remember the Constitution. Whenever we talk about Constitution, we remember Babasaheb Ambedkar, both are inseparable,” Modi said on this day. How well do you know about the Indian Constitution? We have gathered some amazing facts on the Indian constitution you should not miss for anything.
Facts on the Constitution of India:
- The Constitution was adopted on November 26, 1949, while it came into force on January 26, 1950
- The Constitution of India was not typeset or printed but was handwritten and calligraphed in both English and Hindi
- The original copies of the Constitution of India are kept in special helium-filled cases in the Library of the Parliament of India Indian Constitution is known as a bag of borrowings
- The concepts of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity were taken from the French constitution
- The concept of five year plans was taken from the USSR
- The Directive Principles were taken from Ireland
- The law on which the Supreme Court functions was taken from Japan It is the longest written constitution of any independent country in the world
- The Constitution of India contains 448 articles in 25 parts, 12 schedules, 5 appendices and 98 amendments
- The Constituent Assembly had 284 members, out of which 15 were women
- The draft was submitted in November 1949. After the submission, it took three more years to complete it All the 284 members of the Constituent Assembly signed the documents on January 24, 1950
- The constitution came into effect on January 26
- The national emblem of India too was adopted on the same day
- The Indian constitution is known as one of the world’s best constitution, especially since it has only seen 94 amendments.